Atlantic City Railroad (ACRR)

From SJRail.com Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search
Welcome to the SJRail.com Wiki! (Atlantic City Railroad Page)

By Michael Andrescavage

Best seen with Firefox
Atlantic City Railroad (ACRR)
Popularly known as the
Reading Seashore Lines

was a Philadelphia and Reading Railway (Reading Co.) subsidiary that became
Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines in 1933.
1861 — 1933

Atlantic City Railroad (ACRR) map (click on photo to it make bigger)
Enlarge
Atlantic City Railroad (ACRR) map (click on photo to it make bigger)

Atlantic City Railroad Kaighn's Point Terminals In Camden NJ(click on photo to it make bigger) Link to the Kaighn's Point Terminal Page
Enlarge
Atlantic City Railroad Kaighn's Point Terminals In Camden NJ(click on photo to it make bigger)
Link to the Kaighn's Point Terminal Page

Contents

History

Effective April 1, 1889, the Philadelphia and Reading Railway consolidated all of its railroads in Southern New Jersey into The Atlantic City Railroad.
Total of 167.56 miles of track for the year ending December 31, 1905.



ACRR pass 1932.
Enlarge
ACRR pass 1932.
ACRR pass 1914.
Enlarge
ACRR pass 1914.
















Timeline 1861 — 1933

See → ACRR Timeline 1861 — 1933


Station Pages for the Atlantic City Railroad

Contributed by John Acton

See


1922 Winslow Junction Train Derailment

See


Speed Records

On July 20, 1904, train No. 25, a regularly scheduled train that ran from Kaighn's Point in Camden to Atlantic City, with Philadelphia and Reading Railway class P-4c 4-4-2 No.334 and 5 passenger cars. To set the speed record, it ran the 55.5 miles in 43 minutes at an average speed of 77.4 mph. The 29.3 miles between Winslow Jct and Meadows Tower (outside of Atlantic City) were covered in 20 minutes at a speed of 87.9 mph. During the short segment between Egg Harbor and Brigantine Jct., the train was reported to have reached 115 mph.


Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines

On 2 November 1932, the Pennsylvania Railroad and Reading Company joined their Southern New Jersey Railroad lines into one company, The Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines which the Pennsylvania Railroad had a 2/3 ownership, And the Reading Company had a 1/3 ownership.
On 15 July 1933, The Atlantic City Railroad leased the West Jersey & Seashore Railroad and changed its name to Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines .

See also


Predecessor Railroads


Kaighn Ave Ferry
Enlarge
Kaighn Ave Ferry
New York Ship Yard in Camden in the 1910s
Enlarge
New York Ship Yard in Camden in the 1910s






















Camden, Gloucester & Mt. Ephraim Railway


Incorporated on June 17, 1873, by a group from Gloucester City which wanted a rail line to link the busy passenger ferry landing at Kaighn's Point in Camden to the Gloucester City industrial area 3.9 miles away, then from that point another 1.3 miles to Mt. Ephraim Borough.

A 3' gauge was required, as much of the right of way used existing city streets with sharp curves. Work began in January, 1874. The line from Kaighn's Point to Gloucester City opened on February 14, 1874. The line to Mt. Ephraim opened in May, 1876.

In the middle of November, 1884, the Philadelphia and Reading Railway acquired the Camden, Gloucester & Mt. Ephraim Railway.
The Philadelphia and Reading Railway reworked the track to standard gauge in 1885.

  • Gloucester Branch


Station at Collingswood.
Enlarge
Station at Collingswood.
Down the line in Audobon about 1912
Enlarge
Down the line in Audobon about 1912






















Philadelphia and Atlantic City Railway


During 1875, four of the Camden and Atlantic (C&A) Board of Directors left. Led by Samual Richards, who was a officer of the C&A for 24 years, they built a second railroad from Camden to Atlantic City, by way of Clementon.

Incorporated on March 24, 1876, a gauge of 3 foot 6 in was selected because narrow gauge was successful at the time and saved in lower operating costs. Work began in April, 1877. The track work was completed in 90 days! On Saturday, July 7, 1877 the final spike was driven, and the 54.67 mile line was opened. On July 12, 1878 the P&AC RY slipped into bankruptcy. The Philadelphia and Atlantic City Railway was acquired by the Central Railroad of New Jersey and the Philadelphia and Reading Railway for $1,000,000 on September 20, 1883. The name was modified to Philadelphia and Atlantic City Railroad effective December 4, 1883.

In February, 1884, the Philadelphia and Reading Railway (P&RRy) started improving the line by rebuilding it to standard gauge, this was completed on October 5, 1884. The P&RRy acquired full control on December 4, 1885.

  • Main Line


Staion at Haddon Heights about 1910
Enlarge
Staion at Haddon Heights about 1910
Station at Laurel Springs
Enlarge
Station at Laurel Springs






















Williamstown Railroad


This railroad was chartered on March 13, 1871, by the owners of one glass works in Williamstown to build a line from Atco to Williamstown, and later to Glassboro.
The 9.5 mile line was completed in 1873. The line slipped in to bankruptcy in November, 1881. The Williamstown Railroad had graded a line to Glassboro, but the rail was only laid 1.7 miles to Robanna.


Williamstown and Delaware River Railroad


The Williamstown Railroad was acquired by the Central Railroad of New Jersey, and the Philadelphia and Reading Railway on October 6,1883, at a foreclosure sale. The name was modified to Williamstown & Delaware River Railroad effective December 7, 1883.
The Philadelphia and Reading Railway acquired full control on December 4, 1885. In 1887 a new extension was built to Mullica Hill. Now the line was 15.73 miles long.

  • Willamstown Branch

Glassboro Railroad

In 1883, a branch from the Williamstown and Delaware River Railroad,1.20 miles long was built in Glassboro as the Glassboro Railroad, to the Whitney Brother’s glass works.

  • Glassboro Branch


Clementon Station 1920s
Enlarge
Clementon Station 1920s
Bird eye's view of Clementon station
Enlarge
Bird eye's view of Clementon station






















Railroads acquired in 1901

The Atlantic City Railroad was reincorporated on June 14, 1901 as a merger with other railroads......


P&R G-1 4-6-2 #120

Camden County Railroad


Contributed by Mike DiMunno

 The Camden County Railroad was incorporated on September 17, 1889, with the purpose of extending the ACRR's Gloucester Branch ex Camden, Gloucester & Mt. Ephraim Railway between
Mt. Ephraim and Spring Mills, home of the Bateman Manufacturing Company where two plants were in use constructing farm equipment.

  By December 13, 1890, 5 miles of railroad were completed south of Mt. Ephraim. The remaining 2.19 miles were finished on May 10, 1891.
Spring Mills saw it's first train during the third week in March, while the first carload of farm equipment and tools did not leave Bateman Manufacturing until the beginning of April.

  Stations were constructed along the Camden County Railroad at Bellmawr, Runnemede, Glendora, Chews Landing (formerly South Glendora), Blenheim, Blackwood, and Spring Mills (renamed Grenloch upon completion of the line).


After construction was complete, the Camden County Railroad, which had been established with the sole purpose of constructing this extension, was leased to the Atlantic City Railroad.

Atlantic City Railroad Timetable No. 3, effective April 14, 1892, was the first to show trains operating on the Gloucester Branch between Mt. Ephraim and Grenloch

.
  • ACRR Gloucester Branch
  • P-RSL Grenloch Branch (East of the Millville Line) / Gloucester AC (West of the Millville Line)


Station at Hammonton
Enlarge
Station at Hammonton
Another view of the ACRR Station at Hammonton
Enlarge
Another view of the ACRR Station at Hammonton






















Cape May, Delaware Bay and Sewell's Point Railroad

The road extends from Cape May City to Cape May Point, Schellenger's Landing, and Sewell's Point, a distance of 6.94 miles.


Ocean City Railroad

Incorporated in 1896.
In 1897 the South Jersey Railroad of 1894 leased the Ocean City Railroad for 999 years
The road extends from Ocean City Junction-Petersburg NJ to Ocean City NJ a distance of 10.30 miles .

  • Ocean City Branch

Seacoast Railroad

Incorporated in 1898 to take over the South Jersey Railroad of 1894, which was sold at foreclosure sale in 1898.
The Seacoast Railroad's property was leased to the Atlantic City Railroad from 1898 to 1901 under a 999 year lease.
The road extends from Winslow Junction NJ to Cape May NJ, Tuckahoe NJ to Sea Isle City NJ a distance of 66.35 miles

  • Cape May Branch

Experimental 4-4-4 on trial run at Camden, NJ in May 1915.
Enlarge
Experimental 4-4-4 on trial run at Camden, NJ in May 1915.

South Jersey Railroad of 1894

Incorporated in 1894 as a merger of the South Jersey Railroad of 1893 and the Cape May Railroad.


South Jersey Railroad of 1893

Incorporated in 1894 as a merger of.....

  • The South Jersey Railroad of 1983 went into the hands of a receiver, August 21, 1894.

Richland and Petersburg Railroad

Incorporated in 1892, The same year this railroad was purchased from William J. Sewell that part of the railroad was formerly built by the Philadelphia and Seashore Railroad extending between Richland and Petersburg.
This was operated by the West Jersey Railroad from 1892 to 1893.


Winslow and Richland Railroad

Incorporated in 1892, The same year this railroad was purchased from William J. Sewell that part of the railroad was formerly built by the Philadelphia and Seashore Railroad extending between Winslow and Richland.
This was operated by the West Jersey Railroad from 1892 to 1893.


Petersburg and Sea Isle Railroad

Incorporated in 1892, The same year this railroad was purchased from William J. Sewell that part of the railroad was formerly built by the Philadelphia and Seashore Railroad extending between Petersburg and Sea Isle City.
This was operated by the West Jersey Railroad from 1892 to 1893.
Total 8.24 miles, Most of the line was abandoned on Sept. 13, 1925.
2.25 miles were retained as a spur to a sandpit in Seaville.

  • Sea Isle City Branch

Railroads acquired in the 1930's

Stone Harbor Railroad

Leased in April, 1932, the SHRR ran from Cape May Court House to Stone Harbor.

  • It was merged into the P-RSL in 1936.
  • Stone Harbor Branch

Wildwood and Delaware Bay Short Line Railroad

The road extends from Wildwood Junction to Wildwood distance of 4.2 miles. Leased in July 1930.

  • July 9, 1934, P-RSL acquires property of Wildwood and Delaware Bay Short Line Railroad at foreclosure.
  • Wildwood and Delaware Bay Branch

Railroads Operated or Leased

Pleasantville & Ocean City Railroad

June 9, 1880, Pleasantville & Ocean City Railroad incorporated in New Jersey, William Massey, Pres. (Val)

Oct. 26, 1880, Pleasantville & Ocean City Railroad (3'6" narrow gauge) opens between Pleasantville and Somers Point. Operated by Philadelphia & Atlantic City Railway, opening excursion ran from Philadelphia to Ocean City. Ocean City Association operates connecting steamboat between Somers Point and Ocean City. (Val, Lee)

May, 1882, William Massey sells the Pleasantville & Ocean City Railroad to the West Jersey and Atlantic Railroad.

June 1, 1882, The West Jersey and Atlantic Railroad leases the Pleasantville & Ocean City Railroad and converted it to standard gauge on June 4, 1882.


Brigantine Railroads


Aug. 7, 1889, Brigantine Beach Railroad incorporated in New Jersey to build from Pomona on the Camden and Atlantic Railroad to Brigantine Island.

April 21, 1890, Pomona Beach Railroad incorporated in New Jersey to build from Camden and Atlantic Railroad to the Atlantic City Railroad at Pomona, to connect the Brigantine Beach Railroad with the ACRR.

Aug. 18, 1890, Brigantine Beach Railroad and Pomona Beach Railroad are leased to Atlantic City Railroad.

Jan. 27, 1891, Pomona Beach Railroad consolidated with Brigantine Beach Railroad, that now runs from Brigantine Beach to Brigantine Junction, 13.90 miles.

1893, Brigantine Transit Company built as an electric trolley line, The road extends along Brigantine Beach a distance of 6.25 miles.

June 27,1895, The secretary of Brigantine Transit Company, George H. Cook, buys the Brigantine Beach Railroad at foreclosure sale.

April 1, 1896, the Brigantine Beach Railroad reincorporated as Philadelphia & Brigantine Railroad, George H. Cook, Pres.. The Philadelphia & Brigantine Railroad lease Brigantine Transit Company.

Sept. 30 1897, Atlantic City Railroad cancels the lease of Philadelphia & Brigantine Railroad.

Sept. 12, 1903, Storm destroys trestle leading to Brigantine Island on Philadelphia & Brigantine Railroad. (Coxey)

Oct. 9, 1903, Philadelphia & Brigantine Railroad abandons all service. (Coxey)


External links

Book Sources/References

  • 1) Trans-Anglo Books By Rail to the Boardwalk (1986) Richard M. Gladulich ISBN 0-87046-076-5
  • 2) West Jersey Chapter-NRHS West Jersey Rails (1983) NRHS
  • 3) West Jersey Chapter-NRHS West Jersey Rails II (1985) NRHS
  • 4) West Jersey Chapter-NRHS West Jersey Rails III (2002) NRHS
  • 5) Crusader Press Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines (1980) ISBN 0-937-156-02-7
  • 6) West Jersey Chapter-NRHS The Reading Seashore Lines (2007) LIbrary of Congress Control Number 2005936161
  • 7) West Jersey Chapter-NRHS Atlantic City Railroad (1980) Library of Congress Control Number 77-79997
  • 8) West Jersey Chapter-NRHS The Philadelphia Marlton and Medford Railroad Co. 1881 - 1931 (1973)
  • 9) West Jersey Chapter-NRHS The Trains to America's Playground (1988) Morning Sun Books Inc.
  • 10) Pennsylvania- Reading Seashores Lines In Color (1996) ISBN 1-87887-57-2
  • 11) Robert Stanton The Railroads of Camden New Jersey (2006)
  • 12) Robert Stanton Trolley Days in Camden New Jersey (2004)


' Back to the Home Page

Personal tools