P-RSL Timeline 1932 - 1976

From SJRail.com Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search
Welcome to the SJRail.com Wiki! (P-RSL Timeline 1932 - 1976 Page)

Best seen with Firefox
'


Contents

Timeline

Used with Christopher T. Baer's permission. Hagley Museum and Library



1930's


  • January 26, 1932 New Jersey Gov. A. Harry Moore calls meeting for Feb. 3 to consider consolidation of PRR and Reading lines in South Jersey.
  • In June 1933, ACRR was authorized by the Interstate Commerce Commission to abandon its main line east of Winslow Junction in favor of the parallel West Jersey and Seashore Railroad line. Some trackage was retained for freight service to local industries in Hammonton, Egg Harbor and Pleasantville.
  • June 10, 1933 P–RSL abandons former West Jersey & Seashore line from point 2.5 miles east of Woodbine Jct. to Cape May, also 9.81 miles of WJ&S Ocean City Branch, WJ&S Stone Harbor Branch, and portion of WJ&S Wildwood Branch from Wildwood Jct. to Shellinger Avenue.
  • June 24, 1933 Last runs of passenger service over former West Jersey & Seashore lines between Harbor Branch Jct. and Cape May and between 55th and 8th (?) Streets, Ocean City, preparatory to consolidation.
  • June 25, 1933 PRR and Reading Company lines in southern New Jersey consolidated; West Jersey & Seashore Railroad leased to Atlantic City Railroad; connections built to ACRR north of Harbor Branch Jct. and 51st Street, Ocean City; WJ&S Cape May terminals and WJ&S Ocean City track abandoned; most other duplicate lines continue to operate through the summer season; buses replace rail service between 51st Street, Ocean City and Sea Isle City for summer.
  • July 11, 1933 P–RML establishes bus service between Cape May Court House and Stone Harbor.
  • July 14, 1933 Last run of Atlantic City Railroad passenger service between Williamstown Jct. and Glassboro, N.J.
  • July 15, 1933 Atlantic City Railroad Co. (Reading subsidiary) renamed Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines (P–RSL); PRR receives 66% percent interest and lease of WJ&S transferred to P–RSL. P–RSL becomes a separate operating unit with its own general manager; is subtracted from Atlantic Division which is reduced to Camden-Bay Head Jct. and branches, but Atlantic Division and P–RSL retain common staff at divisional level; Pres. and VP are alternately from Reading or PRR each year.
  • Aug. 1, 1933 P–RSL discontinues weekday service between Townsends Inlet and Stone Harbor, N.J. and establishes bus service between Cape May Court House, Stone Harbor and Avalon; Sunday and Labor Day train service to Avalon and Stone Harbor continues.
  • Aug. 21, 1933 Pennsylvania-Reading Motor Lines, Inc (P-RML)., incorporated to combine bus operations of Pennsylvania Greyhound Transit and Reading Transportation Company in P–RSL territory.
  • Sep. 23, 1933 P–RSL closes former ACRR terminal at Kaighns Point, Camden, although only 10 years old; property sold back to Reading Company for freight use; passenger service discontinued on former Camden, Gloucester & Mt. Ephraim Railway west of West Jersey connection in Gloucester; also last runs of passenger service over ex-PRR lines between Stone Harbor and Townsends Inlet and between Sea Isle City Jct. and Sea Isle City.
  • Sep. 24, 1933 P–RSL restores rail passenger service between 51st Street, Ocean Cty, and Sea Isle City.
  • Nov. 4, 1933 Last runs of P-RSL passenger service over ex-WJ&S lines between Woodbine Jct. and Harbor Branch Jct. (Cape May) and between Wildwood Jct. and Wildwood.
  • Nov. 23, 1933 Philadelphia, Cedar Brook & Atlantic City RPO and Winslow & Cape May RPO combined to Philadelphia & Ocean City RPO.
  • Dec. 2, 1933 P-RSL closes ex-ACRR station in Atlantic City in favor of ex-WJ&S station; last run of passenger trains over ex-ACRR line between Winslow Jct. and Atlantic City.
  • Dec. 3, 1933 P-RSL abandons ex-ACRR line between Winslow Jct. and Atlantic City; begins operating all Ocean City/Cape May trains over ex-ACRR line between Camden and Winslow Jct. and all Townsend Inlet/Sea Isle City trains into ex-ACRR station at 51st Street, Ocean City; through trains from Philadelphia to Ocean City and Sea Isle City discontinued.
  • 1933 PRSL abandons 1.23 miles of Gloucester Branch.
  • March 28, 1934 Pennsylvania-Reading Motor Lines, Inc., leases all bus operations to Public Service Coordinated Transport, which becomes the dominant bus carrier in southern New Jersey.
  • May 13, 1934 New BROWN Interlocking placed in service at South Camden.
  • June 1, 1934 Last run of P-RSL passenger service on former Stone Harbor Railroad between Cape May Court House and Stone Harbor, N.J.
  • June 3, 1934 WINSLOW Tower placed in service replacing former WJ&S and ACRR interlockings at Winslow Jct.
  • June 7, 1934 New ALAN Tower opens controlling throat of Camden Terminal.
  • June 24, 1934 Train service to new Atlantic City terminal begins; tracks and platforms completed but head house unfinished.
  • June 30, 1934 Last run of P-RSL passenger service between Gloucester and Grenloch, N.J.
  • July 9, 1934 P-RSL acquires property of Wildwood & Delaware Bay Short Line Railroad at foreclosure.
  • July 18, 1934 Electric trains transferred from 7th Street track to Van Hook Street Cutoff in Camden, N.J.
  • July 25, 1934 ATLANTIC Tower placed in service controlling entrance to Atlantic City station.
  • July 26, 1934 New CENTER Tower placed in service controlling 3rd Street Jct. at Camden Terminal.
  • Sep. 29, 1934 P-RSL grade level line on 7th Street, Camden, abandoned.
  • Sep. 30, 1934 Old WJ&S (ex-Camden & Atlantic) Atlantic City terminal on South Carolina Ave. closes at 12:30 AM; all trains begin using new terminal on Oct. 1.
  • Oct. 24, 1934 New Atlantic City Terminal dedicated; set to coincide with birthday of Mayor Bachrach, who initiated city redevelopment efforts and for whom boulevard on former WJ&S right-of-way is named.
  • Nov. 11, 1934 Last PRSL passenger train runs between Sea Isle City and Townsends Inlet.
  • 1934 Reading Transportation Company (Reading's bus subsidiary) assigns its Philadelphia-Atlantic City, Atlantic City-Ocean City-Wildwood, Wildwood-Cape may, and Wildwood-Avalon routes to Pennsylvania-Reading Motor Lines.
  • 1934 P-RSL abandons Williamstown-Williamstown Jct. and 0.2 miles of Mississippi Avenue Branch in Atlantic City.
  • Feb. 12, 1935 Atlantic City terminal project completed.
  • Apr. 1935 Pennsylvania-Reading Motor Lines, PRSL bus subsidiary, sold to Public Service Interstate Transport.
  • July 14, 1935 Atlantic City & Shore ( Shore Fast Line ) electric trains rerouted between the Thorofare and Atlantic and Virginia Avenues using P-RSL tracks on Georgia, Mississippi and Atlantic Avenues.
  • Sep. 1935 P-RSL single-tracked between Glassboro and Newfield.
  • Sep. 19, 1935 Philadelphia & Ocean City RPO cut to Philadelphia & Winslow Jct. RPO.
  • Nov. 21, 1935 Pres. Clement orders VP in Charge of Operations John F. Deasy to conduct feasibility study for Budd lightweight diesel streamliner in Broad Street-Atlantic City service.
  • 1935 P-RSL single-tracks Newfield Branch between Newfield and Pleasantville.
  • Mar. 1936 P-RSL establishes Fishing Bureau in Philadelphia to provide information and arrange boat charters.
  • Apr. 8, 1936 VP in Charge of Operation John F. Deasy informs Budd that. on the basis of his Philadelphia-Atlantic City cost studies, the PRR is "not interested" in offer of diesel streamliners; figures that are more expensive than conventional steam train through need for back-up equipment.
  • June 7, 1936 Rapid transit (subway) line over the Benjamin Franklin Bridge begins operating between 8th & Market Streets, Philadelphia, and Broadway, Camden, drawing additional passengers off PRR ferries.
  • July 15, 1936 For first time since Benjamin Franklin Bridge opened, Philadelphia & Camden Ferry travel returning from shore requires operating all five boats on a four-minute headway.
  • July 1936 PRSL absorbs Stone Harbor Railroad Company.
  • Sep. 26, 1937 Philadelphia & Winslow Jct. RPO extended to Philadelphia & Cape May RPO via Cedar Brook.
  • Sep. 26, 1937 PRSL applies names to all Philadelphia/Camden-Atlantic City trains carrying parlor or lounge cars, not just Boardwalk Flyer.
  • Apr. 30, 1938 Former ACRR ferries make last runs between Chestnut Street and South Street, Philadelphia, and Kaighns Point, Camden.
  • May 1, 1938 Charter of Delaware River Ferry Company of New Jersey (Reading subsidiary) expires; Kaighns Point Terminal is demolished later in year.
  • 1939 PRSL modernizes passenger cars with metal sash, new seats and ventilating fans.
  • 1939 PRSL abandons bulk of Chelsea Branch in Atlantic City.

1940's


  • 1940 PRSL completes track elevation and new station at Absecon.
  • Sep. 27, 1941 Last run of CNJ Blue Comet after years of operating losses; CNJ exits New York-Atlantic City passenger market, leaving only PRR service.
  • Oct. 22, 1941 PRSL abandons Alloway & Quinton Branch.
  • Sep. 13, 1942 Last run of summer-only through train No. 1046-1049 with coaches and parlor cars between Washington and Atlantic City.
  • Sep. 19, 1942 Last run of PRSL summer-only, Sunday-only passenger service between Ocean City and Sea Isle City, N.J.
  • Sep. 27, 1942 Last run of summer-only passenger service on Harbor Springs Branch;not resumed in 1943 because of war.
  • Sep. 27, 1942 PRSL drops all train names and parlor cars withdrawn because of war.
  • 1942 PRSL abandoned between Williamstown Jct. and Atco.
  • 1942 PRSL removes second track on Baltic Avenue Branch in Atlantic City.
  • Jan. 20, 1943 PRSL abandons 4.7 miles of Salem Branch between Daretown and Riddleton.
  • June 9, 1943 PRSL abandons remaining 6.42 miles of ex-WJ&S Ocean City Branch.
  • June 27, 1943 PRSL ceases operating direct summer service to and from Philadelphia via Delair Bridge on Sundays as part of war effort; some weekday trains continue to run via Delair.
  • Dec. 20, 1943 Bennett station renamed Erma, N.J.
  • 1943 PRSL abandons 0.33 mile connecting track to former WJ&S line between 51st and 55th Streets, Ocean City; also 6.42 miles of ex-WJ&S line between 55th Street and Sea Isle City.
  • Feb. 1944 Harry Babcock named General Manager & Traffic Manager of PRSL, replacing J.O. Hackenberg, given leave for health.
  • June 17, 1944 PRSL discontinues all Bridge trains to and from Atlantic City on weekends and holidays and shifts all equipment to Camden route.
  • Jan. 31, 1945 Pennsylvania-Reading Motor Lines, Inc., dissolved.
  • Apr. 28, 1946 PRR restores operation of through trains and parlor cars between Philadelphia and Atlantic City via Delair Bridge; also restores through Washington-Atlantic City summer-only parlor car, but without through trains as in prewar years.
  • July 22, 1946 Atlantic City Race Track opens, but without rail service.
  • Aug. 19, 1946 Garden State Race Track opens adjacent to PRSL main line in Cherry Hill, N.J.; "Pony Express" race track extras begin operating from Philadelphia.
  • Oct. 8, 1946 Philadelphia & Cape May RPO discontinued.
  • 1946 Atlantic City-Longport branch abandoned.
  • May 25, 1947 Atlantic City Race Track spur opens off PRSL main west of Atlantic City; "Pony Express" race track extras begin operating from Philadelphia and New York. (or rail service begins 7/27/47??)
  • June 14, 1947 Despite PRR's official boycott of General Motors' Train of Tomorrow, VP James M. Symes orders Motive Power officials Howell T. Cover and Clair I. Clugh to inspect the train at Atlantic City, where it is on display at the AAR convention; suggests that PRR should develop dome cars that can clear catenary; however, Symes makes excuses to avoid attending any official receptions held to mark the train's arrival in display cities.
  • Jan. 1, 1948 State of New Jersey adopts new constitution increasing railroad taxes.
  • Jan. 18, 1948 Atlantic City & Shore Railroad ends electric passenger service between Atlantic City and Somers Point; last passenger service on PRSL Somers Point Branch.
  • May 24, 1948 PRR moves 18,000 passengers to Shriner's convention in Atlantic City in 62 trains and 750 cars.
  • Oct. 20, 1948 NJ PUC orders PRSL to retire all wooden MU cars by Dec. 31 and air condition 60 P70 coaches.
  • 1948 Philadelphia-Camden ferry service discontinued between hours of 9:00 PM and 5:30 AM.
  • Feb. 16, 1949 Glassboro & Bridgeton RPO discontinued. (Kay)
  • Feb. 25, 1949 Philadelphia & Wildwood RPO cut to Philadelphia & Millville RPO.(Kay)
  • Feb. 26, 1949 Last run of PRSL passenger service between Milville and Cape May on old WJ&S route via Woodbine Jct. (tt)
  • June 20, 1949 PRSL discontinues electric commuter trains between Glassboro and Millville. (tt)
  • June 25, 1949 Philadelphia & Atlantic City RPO discontinued. (Kay)
  • Sep. 24, 1949 Last run of electric commuter trains between Camden and Glassboro.
  • Sep. 1949 Budd introduces the RDC, self-propelled Rail Diesel Car.

1950's


  • May 24, 1950 PRR Board approves order of 12 Budd RDC's for PRSL in lieu of air conditioning 20 coaches as ordered by court.(MB)
  • June 25, 1950 Nelly Bly name restored for first time since World War II; Sea Breeze established as an all air-conditioned Philadelphia-Atlantic City train.
  • July 8, 1950 Last run of PRSL passenger service between Woodbury and Penns Grove. (tt)
  • Oct. 18, 1950 PRSL receives first order of six Budd RDCs. (AR)
  • Oct. 24, 1950 ICC approves abandonment of PRSL between Elmer and Daretown, N.J.
  • Nov. 15, 1950 ICC approves abandonment of PRSL between South Seaville and Woodbine, N.J. (NYT)
  • Dec. 8, 1950 PRSL Cape May Real Estate Branch to Schellengers Landing closed.
  • Dec. 30, 1950 Last runs of PRSL passenger service between Newfield and Atlantic City on former electric route and between Woodbury and Salem. (tt)
  • 1950 PRSL completes modernization and air-conditioning of 60 P70 coaches.(AR)
  • 1950 PRSL abandons lines: Glassboro-Mullica Hill (6.31 miles), Cape May Real Estate Branch (ex-ACRR 1.06 miles), and Riddleton Branch (4.55 miles). (AR)
  • Feb. 18, 1951 PRSL announces a second order for six Budd RDC's, to be delivered by summer. (NYT)
  • May 1951 PRSL receives first of its second order of six Budd RDC's. (AR)
  • 1951 PRSL receives last six RDCs; the 12 owned by PRSL are the only RDCs on PRR system. (AR)
  • 1951 PRSL abandons line between Manumuskin and Woodbine. (AR)
  • Mar. 31, 1952 Philadelphia-Camden ferry makes last run at 9:10 PM. (VPO)
  • Apr. 14, 1952 New Jersey creates the New Jersey Highway Authority to build the Garden State Parkway, running from the New York suburbs to all shore points.
  • May 13, 1952 New Broadway, Camden, station completed with escalator connections to Bridge rapid transit line. (CE)
  • July 12, 1952 Last run of PRSL passenger service between Glassboro and Bridgeton, N.J. (tt)
  • Aug. 28, 1952 NJ PUC permits PRR and PRSL to raise intrastate commuter fares to same level as interstate fares. (NYT)
  • Aug. 29, 1952 Eastern railroads, including PRR and PRSL, agree to sign union shop agreement with 17 non-operating unions, but without checkoff of union dues; 15 are AFL, Marine Engineers Association was CIO, and Train Dispatchers Association independent; was pushed by AFL to block rival CIO organizing; PRR later signs union shop contracts with operating Brotherhoods. (AR, RyAge, NYT)
  • Sep. 8, 1952 New Jersey PUC grants 15% increase in intrastate commuter fares.(PRSL AR)
  • Sep. 24, 1952 Philadelphia & Camden Ferry Company dissolved. (MB)
  • Sep. 27, 1952 Last run of Philadelphia & Millville RPO. (Kay)
  • Oct. 8, 1952 PRR Board authorizes retirement of transfer bridges Nos. 1 & 2 at Camden Terminal. (MB)
  • 1952 PRSL receives 10 Baldwin road switchers, 6 with gearing for high-speed Atlantic City service. (AR)
  • Jan. 4, 1953 Camden Terminal closes; all passenger trains originate and terminate at Broadway Station beginning Jan. 5; two trains northbound and one southbound also load at point opposite Front Street, Camden.
  • Feb. 15, 1953 Locust Street Subway opens for revenue service between 8th & Market and 16th & Locust in Philadelphia as extension of Camden Bridge Line; tunnel had been begun in 1917 and had lain empty since 1931. (SEPTA,BlltnAlmnc)
  • Nov. 1953 PRSL abandons Leesburg to Maurice River, 3.9 miles. (Guide)
  • Dec. 15, 1953 Coopers Point Branch in Camden abandoned and Coopers Point Yard connected to new line along Delaware River to ALAN (?) Tower. (CE)
  • 1953 PRSL single-tracks line between Camden and Winslow Jct. (AR - verify -which route?)
  • Aug. 27, 1954 PRR files with N.J. PUC to discontinue all three New York-Atlantic City trains, including the Nellie Bly, and substitute Trenton-Atlantic City service, effective Sep. 26, 1954. (NYT)
  • Oct. 6, 1954 Former PRR Camden Terminal and Ferry House, being used as a farmers' market, destroyed by fire. (BlltnAlmnc)
  • Oct. 1, 1955 Last run of "Pony Express" race track extras between New York and Atlantic City Race Track. (Coxey)
  • Dec. 28, 1955 Atlantic City Transportation Company converts former PRR streetcar line on Atlantic Avenue to buses.
  • Dec. 31, 1955 Last run of parlor cars between Philadelphia and Atlantic City.
  • Apr. 9, 1956 Baggage service withdrawn from New York-Atlantic City trains.
  • Sep. 9, 1956 Last run of summer-only through coaches and parlor cars between Washington and Atlantic City (trains No. 142/1029-1024/155). (tt)
  • Oct. 27, 1956 Checked baggage service discontinued on PRSL to Ocean City, Wildwood and Cape May. (i.e. not restored in 4/1957)
  • Dec. 28, 1957 Last run of Saturday parlor cars between New York and Atlantic City. (tt)
  • Apr. 26, 1958 Last run of PRSL passenger service between Wildwood and Cold Spring Harbor, N.J. (tt)
  • Sep. 1, 1958 Last trip of Atlantic City-Pittsburgh sleeper.
  • Oct. 25, 1958 Last run of PRSL passenger train between 10th Street, Ocean City, and Ocean City Gardens.
  • Feb. 16, 1959 New Jersey creates Division of Railroad Transportation in State Highway Dept. to cope with accelerating collapse of commuter rail system. (NYT)
  • Feb. 24, 1959 PRSL asks NJ PUC to discontinue 19 trains.
  • May 2, 1959 Herbert A. Thomas named Executive Director of N.J. Railroad Transportation Division. (NYT)
  • Sep. 8, 1959 Last run of last New York-Atlantic City buffet parlor car service on Nellie Bly. (Guide)
  • Dec. 30, 1959 New Jersey PUC permits PRSL to drop 8 daily and 2 Saturday Camden-Hammonton locals.

1960's


  • June 22, 1960 NJ Governor Robert B. Meyner signs commuter rail subsidy law; subsidies to begin Aug. 1; PRSL $437,000 per year.
  • Oct. 10, 1960 PRSL applies to New Jersey PUC to discontinue all passenger service.
  • Apr. 28, 1961 Last run of PRSL commuter passenger service between Clementon and Hammonton, N.J., via old ACRR line. (tt)
  • Apr. 29, 1961 Nellie Bly, last New York-Atlantic City passenger train, makes last run.(tt)
  • May 19, 1961 PRSL applies to ICC to discontinue all passenger service.
  • Oct. 28, 1961 Last run of Philadelphia-Atlantic City Sea Breeze; last named train on this run. (tt)
  • Apr. 4, 1962 ICC denies PRSL application to abandon all passenger service. (ICC)
  • Apr. 16, 1962 Reading inaugurates two daily round trip freight runs between Port Richmond and Bulson Street, Camden, via Delair Bridge and abandons car float service; last trip Apr. 15.
  • July 1, 1962 State of New Jersey begins subsidizing PRSL passenger service at rate of $200,000 per year.
  • Dec. 5, 1962 Last run of "Pony Express" race track specials between Philadelphia and Garden State Race Track in Cherry Hill, N.J. (Coxey)
  • Mar. 1963 PRR discontinues car floating at Philadelphia; fleet had been reduced to tug Altoona, which was sent to New York to replace the older Baltimore, and four car floats; floats were by then used entirely for ship-side loading from open cars. (VPO)
  • Oct. 6, 1963 Last run of Saturday and Sunday passenger service between Philadelphia/Camden and Cape May, Wildwood and Ocean City, including bus connection to Stone Harbor. (A-sheet)
  • Apr. 3, 1964 PRR and PRSL sign contract with Delaware River Port Authority for extension of High Speed Line from Broadway, Camden, to Kirkwood along PRSL right-of-way.
  • June 11, 1964 Ground broken for PATCO high-speed transit line between Camden and Lindenwold.
  • Feb. 21, 1965 Atlatic City Station closes; replaced by small depot in former yard area. (elsewhere Feb. 27! - Wentzel has 2/27 as date converted to bus station)
  • Feb. 27, 1965 New Atlantic City passenger station west of Ohio Avenue placed in service at 10:00 AM; old station and Georgia Avenue, Mississippi Avenue Branch and remainder of Chelsea Branch abandoned; abandonment permits new approaches to Atlantic City Expressway to be built across right-of-way; old station sold to Atlantic County Improvement Authority.
  • Apr. 26, 1965 City of Atlantic City acquires Mississippi Avenue Branch, which it maintains as a private siding to serve Convention Hall.
  • June 8, 1965 PRSL opens new connection of Newfield Branch with main line over Atlanitc City Expressway 0.8 miles "north" of former connection at "PENRED".
  • July 9, 1965 PRSL conveys old station property and Columbus Park to City of Atlantic City; retains Mediterranean and Baltic Avenue Branches.
  • July 16, 1965 Last run of PRSL commuter service over old ACRR line between Camden and Clementon, N.J.
  • 1965 New engine and car shop opens at Pavonia, N.J., near Camden.
  • 1965 Last section of Atlantic City Expressway opens between Pleasantville and Atlantic City.
  • Jan. 15, 1966 Last runs of passenger trains between Camden (Broadway) and West Haddonfield; tracks removed to permit construction of PATCO transit line on former PRSL right-of-way; (or no Sat. pass & last 1/14)
  • Jan. 16, 1966 All Atlantic City and Cape May trains routed into 30th Street via Delair Bridge; Pemberton and Millville locals continue to terminate at Broadway; PRSL abanonded between Division Street, Camden, and "VERNON"; PRSL single-tracked between West Haddonfield ("VERNON") and Kirkwood; PRSL freights begin operating into Pavonia Yard via Delair instead of to Camden.
  • Jan. 17, 1966 Public Service Coordinated Transport begins operating connecting bus service for PRSL between Camden and Haddonfield; old Haddonfield station at Kings Highway closes and new temporary station opens at Euclid Avenue.
  • Aug. 1, 1966 PRSL abandons Somer's Point branch between Linwood and Somer's Point.
  • Sep. 21, 1966 ICC approves single-tracking PRSL between Winslow Jct. and Absecon.
  • Sep. 30, 1966 Last run of passenger train (Camden-Millville and Camden-Pemberton) from Broadway Station,, Camden; last passenger service between Broadway and "CENTER" Tower; former Amboy Division main line abandoned between "CENTER" Tower and Delaware River; PRSL South Camden Branch connected with former PRR trackage to form a continuous belt line along the Delaware River from "BROWN" Tower to Coopers Point.
  • Oct. 3, 1966 PRR establishes new terminal for Camden-Millville and Pemberton-Camden trains on old Camden & Amboy main line at 12th & Federal Streets in Camden, with bus connection to Bridge Line at Broadway. (AR)
  • Oct. 30, 1966 PRSL discontinues all checked baggage service.
  • Nov. 11, 1966 PRSL abandons Newfield Branch between McKee City and Mays Landing.
  • Dec. 12, 1966 New Jersey Transportation Act of 1966 creates Dept. of Transportation, integrating planning for all modes, and Commuter Operating Agency to administer subsidy contracts with railroads and make capital improvements; D.J. Goldberg named Commissioner. (NYT)
  • Late 1966 PRR removes electrification between Frankford Jct. and Pavonia Yard over Delair Bridge.

1970's


  • Jan. 28, 1970 Penn Central Board approves new car shop, engine house and car retarders at Pavonia Yard in Camden.
  • May 21, 1973 Penn Central restores electrification between Frankford Jct. and Pavonia Yard.
  • Jan. 31, 1976 State of New Jersey cancels $1 million annual contract payments to PRSL.
  • Feb. 2, 1976 PRSL applies to abandon all passenger service. effective Feb. 7.
  • Feb. 13, 1976 ICC grants permission for PRSL to formally abandon Wildwood Branch, unused since June 1974. (PRRFAX)


Return to the - Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines page

Back to the Home Page

Personal tools